02-27871234 (O), 02-27898775 (Lab, 助理方秀芬小姐)
Line ID: lijungjuan
EDUCATION AND POSITIONS HELD:
- Ph.D. training with Jerry Workman, The Pennsylvania State University 美國賓州州立大學 (01/1992- 08/1996)
- Postdoctoral Fellow (06/1997-10/2000) and Assistant Investigator (10/2000-03/2006), National Health Research Institutes 國家衛生研究院, Taiwan ROC
- Assistant Professor (04/2006-07/2009), Associate Professor (07/2009-07/2015) and Professor (07/2015-present), Genomics Research Center, Academia Sinica, 中研院基因體研究中心, Taiwan ROC
- Adjunct Assistant Professor (08/2006-02/2010), Adjunct Associate Professor (02/2010-01/2016), and Adjunct Professor (02/2016-present), Institute of Molecular Medicine, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, 台灣大學分子醫學研究所, Taiwan ROC
- 1st Prize, Departmental Research Poster Award (1/76), The Penn State University, 1995
- 1st NHRI Postdoctoral Fellowship Award (3/40), 1998
- Asia-Pacific International Molecular Biology Network (A-IMBN) Feature Report, 2008 and 2010
- Genomics Research Center Major Discovery 基因體中心重要成果, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2019
- Academia Sinica Major Discovery 中研院重要成果, 2008, 2010, 2019
- Academia Sinica Career Development Award 中研院前瞻計畫, 2009
- 4th TienTe Lee Biomedical Foundation Young Scientist Research Award 李天德青年醫藥科技獎, 2009
- Best 5 Article of Cell Reports 2012
- Academia Sinica Investigator Award 中研院深耕計畫, 2017 and 2021
- 18th YZ Hsu Science and Technology Paper Award 有庠科技論文獎, 2020
- MOST Outstanding Research Award 科技部傑出研究獎, 2021
1. C. C. Lee*, Y. C. Shih, M. L. Kang, Y.C. Chang, L. M. Chuang, R. Devaraj, L. J. Juan*, 2019, “Naa10p Inhibits Beige Adipocyte-Mediated Thermogenesis through N-α-acetylation of Pgc1α”, Molecular Cell, 76, 1-16.
News and Views in Nat Struc Mol Biol: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41594-019-0310-2)
2. C. C. Lee, S. H. Peng, L. Shen, C. F. Lee, T. H. Du, M. L. Kang, G. L. Xu, A. K. Upadhyay, X. Cheng, Y. T. Yan, Y. Zhang*, L. J. Juan*, 2017, “The Role of N-α-acetyltransferase 10 Protein in DNA Methylation and Genomic Imprinting”, MOLECULAR CELL, 68(1), 89-103.e7.
中研院官網報導：蛋白質N端乙醯轉化酶10蛋白質促進 DNA 甲基化、維持基因體印記並調控胚胎發育 http://www.genomics.sinica.edu.tw/index.php/tw/news/lastest-news/524-n-10-dna
Transcriptional and Epigenetic Regulation in Development and Disease
Juan laboratory is interested in transcriptional and epigenetic regulation in development and disease. We used to study important epigenetic regulators which control viral replication and tumor malignancy. In recent years, we have been focusing on protein N-a-acetylation. We found that the protein N-a-acetyltransferase Naa10p is important for global DNA methylation, genomic imprinting, embryonic development and its overexpression can cause cancer and obesity.
1. Viral proteins inhibited host histone modifying enzyme activity and hijacked host chromatin assembly factor for viral replication (EMBO 2004, JBC 2009, Cell Res 2011, Oncogene 2012)
2. Histone demethylase RBP2 recognized specific DNA sequences (Nat Struc Mol Biol 2008, GRC major discovery, highlighted by Academia Sinica and A-IMBN) and promoted lung tumor malignancy depending on its enzymatic and DNA binding activities (Cancer Res 2013)
3. O-GlcNAc transferase (OGT) glycosylated and stabilized histone methyltransferase EZH2 for tumor suppressor gene silencing (PNAS 2014, GRC major discovery)
4. DNA demethylation enzyme TET1 was a tumor suppressor by activating tissue inhibitors of matrix metalloproteinases (Best 5 Article in Cell Reports 2012, highlighted by Cell and Cell Reports websites, GRC major discovery)
5. The N-a-acetyltransferase Naa10p promoted lung tumorigenesis (J Clin Invest 2010, GRC major discovery, highlighted by Academia Sinica and A-IMBN) and maintained genomic imprinting (Mol Cell 2017, GRC Major Discovery, highlighted by Academia Sinica) by facilitating DNA methyltransferase 1 function, and caused obesity by inhibiting thermogenic gene expression and beige adipogenesis (Mol Cell 2019, highlighted by Nat Stru Mol Biol, Academia Sinica Major Discovery)
1. N-a-acetyltransferase Naa10p in neuron function. Naa10p is enriched in the hippocampus. Its mutations in human cause developmental delay which includes intellectual disability and autism. The underlying mechanim by which Naa10p regulates neuron function is iunder investigation using hippocampus-specific Naa10p KO mice.
2. Histone N-a-acetylation in development and cancer. The N-a-acetyltransferase Naa40p only has two substrates: histone H2A and H4. Naa40p has been implicated in aging and cancer. H2A/H4-N-a-acetylation is conserved and prevalent. However, the function is unknown.
3. Epigenetic regulation during adult neural stem cell aging. Adult neurogenesis is likely the key to understand aging and neurodegenerative diseases. Adult neurogenesis is known to decrease with age. Epigenetic alteration has been implicated in adult neural stem cell aging with unknown mechanisms.
誠徵研究生助理博士後 Student/RA/Postdoc Wanted
- Lee CC*, Shih YC, Kang ML, Chang YC, Chuang LM, Devaraj R, Juan LJ*, 2019, “Naa10p Inhibits Beige Adipocyte-Mediated Thermogenesis through N-alpha-acetylation of Pgc1alpha.”, Molecular cell, 76(3), 500-515.e8. (SCIE)
- Lee CC, Peng SH, Shen L, Lee CF, Du TH, Kang ML, Xu GL, Upadhyay AK, Cheng X, Yan YT, Zhang Y*, Juan LJ*, 2017, “The Role of N-alpha-acetyltransferase 10 Protein in DNA Methylation and Genomic Imprinting.”, Molecular cell, 68(1), 89-103.e7. (SCIE)
- Chu CS, Lo PW, Yeh YH, Hsu PH, Peng SH, Teng YC, Kang ML, Wong CH*, Juan LJ*, 2014, “O-GlcNAcylation regulates EZH2 protein stability and function.”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 111(4), 1355-60. (SCIE)
- Teng YC, Lee CF, Li YS, Chen YR, Hsiao PW, Chan MY, Lin FM, Huang HD, Chen YT, Jeng YM, Hsu CH, Yan Q, Tsai MD, Juan LJ*, 2013, “Histone demethylase RBP2 promotes lung tumorigenesis and cancer metastasis.”, Cancer research, 73(15), 4711-21. (SCIE)
- Hsu CH, Peng KL, Kang ML, Chen YR, Yang YC, Tsai CH, Chu CS, Jeng YM, Chen YT, Lin FM, Huang HD, Lu YY, Teng YC, Lin ST, Lin RK, Tang FM, Lee SB, Hsu HM, Yu JC*, Hsiao PW*, Juan LJ*, 2012, “TET1 suppresses cancer invasion by activating the tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases.”, Cell reports, 2(3), 568-79. (SCIE)
- Hsu CH, Peng KL, Jhang HC, Lin CH, Wu SY, Chiang CM, Lee SC, Yu WC, Juan LJ*, 2012, “The HPV E6 oncoprotein targets histone methyltransferases for modulating specific gene transcription.”, Oncogene, 31(18), 2335-49. (SCIE)
- Lee SB, Lee CF, Ou DS, Dulal K, Chang LH, Ma CH, Huang CF, Zhu H, Lin YS, Juan LJ*, 2011, “Host-viral effects of chromatin assembly factor 1 interaction with HCMV IE2.”, Cell research, 21(8), 1230-47. (SCIE)
- Chu CS, Hsu PH, Lo PW, Scheer E, Tora L, Tsai HJ, Tsai MD, Juan LJ*, 2011, “Protein kinase A-mediated serine 35 phosphorylation dissociates histone H1.4 from mitotic chromosome.”, The Journal of biological chemistry, 286(41), 35843-51. (SCIE)
- Shi-Chen Ou D, Lee SB, Chu CS, Chang LH, Chung BC, Juan LJ*, 2011, “Transcriptional activation of endoplasmic reticulum chaperone GRP78 by HCMV IE1-72 protein.”, Cell research, 21(4), 642-53. (SCIE)
- Lin RK, Wu CY, Chang JW, Juan LJ, Hsu HS, Chen CY, Lu YY, Tang YA, Yang YC, Yang PC, Wang YC*, 2010, “Dysregulation of p53/Sp1 control leads to DNA methyltransferase-1 overexpression in lung cancer.”, Cancer research, 70(14), 5807-17. (SCIE)
- Lee CF, Ou DS, Lee SB, Chang LH, Lin RK, Li YS, Upadhyay AK, Cheng X, Wang YC, Hsu HS, Hsiao M, Wu CW*, Juan LJ*, 2010, “hNaa10p contributes to tumorigenesis by facilitating DNMT1-mediated tumor suppressor gene silencing.”, The Journal of clinical investigation, 120(8), 2920-30. (SCIE)
- Lee SB, Ou DS, Lee CF, Juan LJ*, 2009, “Gene-specific transcriptional activation mediated by the p150 subunit of the chromatin assembly factor 1.”, The Journal of biological chemistry, 284(21), 14040-9. (SCIE)
- Tu S, Teng YC, Yuan C, Wu YT, Chan MY, Cheng AN, Lin PH, Juan LJ*, Tsai MD*, 2008, “The ARID domain of the H3K4 demethylase RBP2 binds to a DNA CCGCCC motif.”, Nature structural & molecular biology, 15(4), 419-21. (SCIE)
- Chiou SH, Yang YP, Lin JC, Hsu CH, Jhang HC, Yang YT, Lee CH, Ho LL, Hsu WM, Ku HH, Chen SJ, Chen SS, Chang MD, Wu CW*, Juan LJ*, 2006, “The immediate early 2 protein of human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) mediates the apoptotic control in HCMV retinitis through up-regulation of the cellular FLICE-inhibitory protein expression.”, Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 177(9), 6199-206.
- Chen WY, Juan LJ, Chung BC*, 2005, “SF-1 (nuclear receptor 5A1) activity is activated by cyclic AMP via p300-mediated recruitment to active foci, acetylation, and increased DNA binding.”, Molecular and cellular biology, 25(23), 10442-53. (SCIE)
- Hsu CH, Chang MD, Tai KY, Yang YT, Wang PS, Chen CJ, Wang YH, Lee SC, Wu CW, Juan LJ*, 2004, “HCMV IE2-mediated inhibition of HAT activity downregulates p53 function.”, The EMBO journal, 23(11), 2269-80. (SCIE)
- Mu JJ, Tsay YG, Juan LJ, Fu TF, Huang WH, Chen DS, Chen PJ*, 2004, “The small delta antigen of hepatitis delta virus is an acetylated protein and acetylation of lysine 72 may influence its cellular localization and viral RNA synthesis.”, Virology, 319(1), 60-70. (SCIE)
- Chiou SH, Liu JH, Hsu WM, Chen SS, Chang SY, Juan LJ, Lin JC, Yang YT, Wong WW, Liu CY, Lin YS, Liu WT, Wu CW*, 2001, “Up-regulation of Fas ligand expression by human cytomegalovirus immediate-early gene product 2: a novel mechanism in cytomegalovirus-induced apoptosis in human retina.”, Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 167(7), 4098-103.
- Juan LJ, Shia WJ, Chen MH, Yang WM, Seto E, Lin YS, Wu CW*, 2000, “Histone deacetylases specifically down-regulate p53-dependent gene activation.”, The Journal of biological chemistry, 275(27), 20436-43. (SCIE)
- Juan LJ, Utley RT, Vignali M, Bohm L, Workman JL*, 1997, “H1-mediated repression of transcription factor binding to a stably positioned nucleosome.”, The Journal of biological chemistry, 272(6), 3635-40. (SCIE)
- Utley RT, Owen-Hughes TA, Juan LJ, Cote J, Adams CC, Workman JL*, 1996, “In vitro analysis of transcription factor binding to nucleosomes and nucleosome disruption/displacement.”, Methods in enzymology, 274, 276-91. (SCIE)
- Juan LJ, Utley RT, Adams CC, Vettese-Dadey M, Workman JL*, 1994, “Differential repression of transcription factor binding by histone H1 is regulated by the core histone amino termini.”, The EMBO journal, 13(24), 6031-40. (SCIE)
- Vettese-Dadey M, Walter P, Chen H, Juan LJ, Workman JL*, 1994, “Role of the histone amino termini in facilitated binding of a transcription factor, GAL4-AH, to nucleosome cores.”, Molecular and cellular biology, 14(2), 970-81. (SCIE)
- Juan LJ, Walter PP, Taylor IC, Kingston RE, Workman JL*, 1993, “Nucleosome cores and histone H1 in the binding of GAL4 derivatives and the reactivation of transcription from nucleosome templates in vitro.”, Cold Spring Harbor symposia on quantitative biology, 58, 213-23.