EDUCATION AND POSITIONS HELD:
- B.S., Biology, Fu-Jen University, 1984
- Ph.D., Microbiology, UC Davis, 1991
- Postdoctoral Associate, Harvard Medical School, 1993-1996
- R&D Scientist, Bio-Rad Laboratories, 1996-1998
- Principal Investigator, Development Center for Biotechnology, 1999-2000
- Research Scientist, Genome Institute of Singapore, 2002-2008
- Associate Professor, National Central University, 2007-present
- Associate Professor, Genomics Research Center, Academia Sinica, 2008-present
- Associate Professor, National Taiwan University, 2011-2021
- 2016/08/29 Japan App.: PCT ID: PCT/US2014/070226 (Japan: 10011-040JP). Kuo Ping Chiu and Yu-Shin Nai. Methods for full-length amplification of double-stranded linear nucleic acids of unknown sequences.
- 2016/08/05 China App.: Sinica file: 28A-1020829_CN (China: IPC 10011-040CN). Kuo Ping Chiu and Yi-Shin Nai. Plasma DNA amplification for assessment of cancer mutations.
- 2015/10 International Application: PCT/US 14170226 (Sinica File 28A-1020829_US; IPC 10011-040US). Kuo Ping Chiu and Yu-Shin Nai. Methods for full-length amplification of double-stranded linear nucleic acids of unknown sequences.
- 2016/09/30 Issued: Taiwan, IA0001/ACA0096TW. Kuo Ping Chiu, Yu-Shin Nai and Yu-Feng Huang. Methods for full-length amplification of double-stranded linear nucleic acids of unknown sequences.
- 2014/09/09 US 8829172. Kuo Ping Chiu et al. Novel multiplex barcoded Paired-End Ditag (mbPED) sequencing approach and its application in fusion gene identification.
- 2013/06/03 US 8481699. Kuo Ping Chiu. Multiplex barcoded Paired-End ditag (mbPED) library construction for ultra high throughput sequencing.
- 2013/04/23 US 8428882, Kuo-Ping Chiu et al. Methods of processing and/or genome mapping of diTag sequences.
- 2014/12/15 Patent application. Kuo Ping Chiu and Yu-Shin Nai. Methods for full-length amplification of double-stranded linear nucleic acids of unknown sequences.
Eukaryotic Gene Expression Regulation: Cancer biology
Cancer is a fascinating subject for studying gene expression and regulation in the eukaryotic system. The complexity of cancer, and many other diseases, requires a systematic and genome-wide approach, so to improve the reliability of results and to help identify the missing links in the cascade of gene expression regulation. We have setup a biotechnology-based sequencing platform at Genomics Research Center, which works closely with the TechComm sequencing facility at the National Taiwan University campus. These sequencing platforms are linked to multiple bioinformatics pipelines for various types of sequence data analysis. Besides cancer biology, we are also working on biotechnology development, anti-cancer mechanism of A. cinnamomea, developmental reprogramming, and a number of collaborative projects, including studies of cancer stem cell (CSC) transcriptomes, early onset breast cancer (EOBC), T-cell tolerance, and micro-RNAs.
Research collaborations are not limited within Academia Sinica. The idea is to facilitate Genomics researches by taking practical actions and by realistic sharing of sequencing experiences and software applications. Through broad connections and collaborations, we would like to help facilitate the study of Genomics and basic sciences and to strengthen the education system.
癌症是一種複雜的疾病, 也是研究真核生物基因調控的最佳材料之一. 本實驗室使用高效率的生物資訊技術來處理遺傳序列. 將基因表達的層次, 與染色質的狀態和基因轉錄因子在染色質上的結合位置關連起來,以提高實驗結果的可靠性. 並藉由病變細胞與正常細胞之間, 或不同的病變細胞之間, 的比較, 廣泛搜索乳癌, 肝癌, 與鼻咽癌等細胞內基因調控流程中的失控之處, 以找尋分子標靶, 用以治療或控制癌症. 同時, 我們將繼續發展生物科技, 以促進基因體學與基礎科學在台灣的發展.
PRESENTATIONS (2008 – 2016)
- Invited speaker (2016/10/13): A Cohort Study of Early Onset Breast Cancer. In Diagnostics Summit 2016, Biopolis, Singapore.
- Invited speaker (2016/06/22): T Oligo-Primed Polymerase Chain Reaction (TOP-PCR): A Robust Method for the Amplification of Minute Amount of DNA Fragments from Body Fluids. In The Liquid Biopsy Summit, San Francisco, USA.
- Invited speaker (2013/10/08): Multiplex barcoded Paired-End Ditag (mbPED) for ultra high throughput sequencing. In 3rd Annual Next Generation Sequencing Asia Congress, 8th & 9th October 2013, Singapore.
- Selected oral presentation (2013/06/21): Multiplex barcoded Paired-End Ditag (mbPED) for ultra high throughput NGS sequencing. In Nucleic Acid Summit, June 19-21, 2013, San Francisco, California.
- Invited speaker (2012/12/21): What we have learned from the study of Antrodia cinnamomea. At Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, National Chung-Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan.
- Invited speaker (2012/12/13): Palindromic sequence impedes sequencing-by-ligation mechanism. In 23rd International Conference on Genome Informatics (GIW2012), to be held at National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan.
- Invited speaker (2012/09/20): Multiplex barcoded Paired-End Ditag (mbPED) for ultra high throughput sequence data analysis. In International Symposium of Root Systems Biology, held at Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Colloquium lecture (2011/03): Single cell transcriptome analysis of MCF-7 breast cancer cell population. At National Central University, ChungLi, Taiwan.
- Oral presentation (2010/11): Single cell transcriptome analysis of MCF7 breast cancer cell population using Next-Generation Sequencing. In Systems Biology and Bioinformatics Symposium. At Tsing-Hua University, Taiwan.
- Poster presentation (2010/10): Single cell transcriptome analysis of MCF7 breast cancer cell population. In ‘Beyond the Genome’ International Conference, held at Harvard Medical School, USA.
- Oral presentation (2009/10): Unraveling the mystery of gene expression and regulation/dysregulation by sequencing. In 2nd Symposium on Molecular Medicine in Post-genomic Era, held in Taipei Taiwan.
- Oral presentation (2009/10): Applications of Next-Generation Sequencing technology on systems biology. At National Chang Gung University, Taoyuan Taiwan.
- Poster presentation (2008): Analysis of the MCF-7 breast cancer transcriptome and effects of estrogen using an ultra-high-throughput Multiplex Sequencing-coupled Paired-End diTag (MS-PET) approach. In Keystone Symposia, held in Keystone, Colorado USA.